Over this time we have averaged about 33.2 mpg. That equates to 14,377 litres of Shell Super (occasionally Esso and other supers, only ever 1 half tank of supermarket dross). At current prices that’s around £22,500.
Apart from tyres and other consumables the car has been faultless…. (OMG! that’s just hexed it).
So, thoughts and observations:
- On a long journey I can get 40mpg, which for a 3 litre V6 is commendable, but the average overall is just over 33mpg.
- The 9 speed box is usually in the correct gear with little ‘hunting’ although occasionally if kick down is used for an overtake it will remain stubbornly in a lower gear for some time. It feels like it is ‘on its toes’, up for further action and it will then thump into a higher gear as if to say “I was ready, where were you?”
- Tyre wear is very good but the tracking keeps going out of alignment probably due to potholes. Unavoidable on our roads these days.
- I have slightly kerbed one of the front wheels; the air was blue for some time….
- I never tire of the sound of the exhaust when pushing the throttle, like a swarm of angry hornets just behind you.
- Reversing on full lock can cause the front wheels to crab and scrabble a little. It has never bothered me but can sound a little daunting.
- DAB radio reception is very patchy. There are large areas around Bradford and Leeds where the signal is unavailable. I don’t know if this the car radio or just poor signal quality.
- It is an estate, and treated like a pack horse with many trips to the tip. I simply cannot comprehend why anyone would buy a saloon if an estate version is available.
- The one omission is Apple Play, having used it in other cars I do wish it was fitted to mine.
In short, this car has been the longest I have had in my possession. I have spent hours on Autotrader and other similar sites looking and dreaming (and sometimes drooling) over alternatives. However I always come back to this Merc, it just does it all for me. I still get a frisson of excitement if I need to set off on a long journey. If the budget allowed I would simply get a newer version…. I must be getting old.
However should my numbers come up then the garage would be supplemented with a Porsche 964, a new Land Rover Defender and a late E Class estate V8 C63.
Watch this space….